Jul 24, 2017

More from the drafts queue...

Tell me something I don’t know, stupid.

I came across this article today:

People really are hooked on cellphones, poll shows

I know as I approach the milestone of fifty (still more than a year off), I am venturing ever further into the state of irrelevance in our society because instead of embracing new technologies, I view them with ever increasing disdain.

A part of it is the sense people are struggling to make a connection with the world around them and instead suckling on the pablum this faux intimacy the tools provide them. Another is that the underlying pull the people who embrace these technologies appear to have is to create a sense of importance about themselves...
I have to figure that link is a dead link since this was started over 8 years ago.

In the ensuing years the false intimacy has only grown with Facebook, Instagram and all the other social media platforms where people can indulge themselves in the fantasy they are somehow popular.

Really none of us is that important.

Facebook though is a way to tell our friends what immediate brain fart we’re having at the moment or new and interesting ways we can find to offend people who thought we were friends. Social media is WONDERFUL!

Pass.

I have an iPhone which is getting a little long in tooth but I do admit to loving some things about the device so the cell phone thing I finally understand. Thing is I don’t spend time on it talking but rather use it as a replacement iPod or camera or train/subway checker or solataire game box.

Also, I really am at a point where if you are too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time can you stay the fuck off your cellphone or at least remain in one spot?

Walking around the city has become a real treat with the idiots who are either
  • a) Looking at their phone and not watching where they’re going.
  • b) taking some idiotic selfie.
     
  • c) talking on the phone oblivious to the world around them or
     
  • d) all of the above while wearing earbuds.
Can you dummies get it together? Maybe the best solution is to play some kind of game a la Death Race where you can just watch these folks become candidate for the current year’s round of the Darwin Awards.

Here’s a thought... set aside one day a week to be cellphone less. Seriously. Take one day and put it aside to keep yourself out of touch or at least in a state that most of us lived life before the year 1998. You may surprise yourself how much nicer life is without being tethered.

No comments: